Monday, October 11, 2010

iMotivation



It's become completely habitual.  When I go to the gym, I grab--water, phone, and arguably most importantly, my iPod.  I hate to admit it but I'm definitely one of those people who CANNOT and i repeat, cannot work out with out some music to occupy me.  And as embarrassing as it is, I am definitely that girl at the gym with her music blaring out of the earphones. (From the stares I get, I guess vintage Backstreet Boys doesn't pump others up the way it does for me.)  Regardless, I thought I couldn't be the only person in the world who couldn't work out without music and a little research proved me right...

According to Livestrong, a recent study published in the "Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology" showed that music can motivate a runner to run longer and a cyclist to pedal harder.  Now, I know I'm no expert by any means, but I can speak from personal experience, and when the right song comes on, you just stop all thinking...and go!

In addition, according to Len Kravitz, Ph.D., program coordinator of exercise science and a researcher at the University of New Mexico at Albuquerque, four primary conclusions can be drawn from the numerous studies that have tried to explain music's facilitation on exercise performance. 

  • Music can reduce the feeling of fatigue.
  • Music can boost spirits
  • Music can produce "relaxation response" which can help someone push through some of the more uncomfortable feelings of exercise.
  • Rhythms of music can improve motor coordination which can reduce injury.
There.  These few facts make me feel a little better about my sick attatchment to my iPod.  So all the hours I spend downloading songs and making playlists are totally worth it!  Check out Billboard for the latest chart-topping songs or hit up iTunes to download and make your gym playlists! Just remember, no two playlists are alike.  Your gym playlist should be all about you and consist of the songs that are going to make pump you up and make you work harder!

Here's a list of my top 5 songs on my gym playlist:

1.) Michael Jackson- Pretty Young Thing
2.) Jesse McCartney- Shake
3.) Lady Gaga- Just Dance
4.) Backstreet Boys- Everybody
5.) Rascall Flatts- Stand





2 comments:

  1. i love all those songs, i think u shoulad add "come on eileen"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way and it's definitley true that it can carry you through a workout longer and harder then without it. I have everything from Sinatra to Rap on mine lol

    ReplyDelete